Monday, March 5, 2012

Rewards

While I was planning my escape from the city, I remember struggling to find the time to do much more than work (at the office), commute, and squeeze in the occasional run. It took at least two days to relax at the end of the week. Strangely enough, I now find myself as busy as I can ever remember being, and yet I'm enjoying every minute of it.

Living simply involves undertaking most tasks yourself where possible, so while I am working on my photography and building new maps, I'm also heavily involved in some construction work, and I find it all incredibly satisfying. I own the product of my labor, I have no supervisor, and my work has a legitimate purpose that is in keeping with my values.

Warren Zevon once famously said "Enjoy every sandwich". That phrase has stayed with me since I first heard it. All too often, we realize too late that life is short. In my case, it was too short to spend the greater part of each day doing a job I could see no point in. While life is fragile, this is no reason to be afraid to experiment. You have to go out and make the sandwich before you can enjoy it!


Enjoy your week, and thanks for reading.

No comments:

Post a Comment