Saturday, March 31, 2012

Adaptation

As I reached the end of my 4th mountain run yesterday and checked my watch, it occurred to me that the human body is often much more adaptable than we think. A little over a week ago, running at altitude was a real struggle, but now I'm close to a respectable pace. Sometimes the biggest obstacle to change can be our minds, or more specifically our lack of confidence in ourselves. The human mind is a very powerful thing, but it can also limit us if we allow it.

Spring is here, and the local wildlife already seem to be more abundant as the snow and ice melt away. Deer have new sources of food, while geese and ducks now inhabit the thawing lakes.


Soon, the wildflowers will begin to bloom.  The natural world is constantly adapting to the seasons, and this is especially evident during spring.

I haven't been able to get up into the mountains as much as I would have liked this week, but I've still been busy. In just a few hours, I was able to build this classic bench (based on the design by the naturalist Aldo Leopold).



I was impressed with the simple yet rugged design. There is no reason why simple living should be uncomfortable!

No comments:

Post a Comment