Sunday, April 8, 2012

Age

 This time of year is associated with new beginnings and growth. It's a time of change in the natural world, and nowhere is this more evident than here in the mountains. For me, it's a time of reflection as another birthday comes around. In our culture we seem to fear the passing of each year, but we can achieve a great deal in twelve months and we should feel able to celebrate both the achievements and the precious time that we've experienced. I recently read an article about the most common regrets of people who've reached the end of their lives. Not surprisingly, those regrets were as follows:
1. I wish I'd had the courage to live a life true to myself, not the life others expected of me.
2. I wish I hadn't worked so hard.
3. I wish I'd had the courage to express my feelings.

Even here in the mountains it is easy to become preoccupied with work, but time in the wilderness reminds me of my priorities and goals, and with breathtaking beauty all around trivial problems slip away.


By living purposefully and being truly present, you might be surprised at what you'll experience.


You can view more spring images here. Enjoy your week!

2 comments:

  1. Love the photos you posted here, and your blog is wonderful and thought provoking as always :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lovely blog. Today is my daughter's 13 th bday & next week my other daughter will be 8. The 3 things/regrets you mentioned are very important & i reitterate them to my children quite often, in hopes they will prosper in a peaceful, happy life. Next month i will be 40, i hope it doesnt take them as long to realize & understand the signifigance of those 3 items. Happy Birthday to you!

    ReplyDelete