Sunday, February 19, 2012

Adjustment

This new life of mine took a great deal of dedication and planning. However, at this point, I'm finding that there are certain challenges that cannot easily be planned for. There is a voice in my head saying "Simplify, simplify", and yet it has been much easier to say than to do. Simplification of my surroundings and lifestyle required a few bold decisions. The simplification of my days has been more difficult to achieve. Now that I'm self-employed, I've found that my new boss can be quite demanding. I still need to develop a flexible routine that allows for a healthy balance of work and play. I have to develop my own structure in keeping with the simple living ethic.
Patience is a virtue that I haven't had to make much use of in recent years. An office job in the city can be fast-paced, while all conveniences are within easy reach. Building a new life requires time and a new approach. It is only now that I am learning to slow down. Here's a recent shot that was taken around the time that I really began to adjust:


By slowing down it is easier to notice the small things, like the red leaves of the oregon grape, or the dried rose hips, or the rest of the winter flora and fauna that the casual observer might miss. It makes me a better photographer, and it makes life in the mountains more rewarding.

No comments:

Post a Comment