Monday, August 27, 2012

Fortune Telling

We all make plans at one point or another in our lives. Sometimes those plans are little more than a wish and little comes of those ideas. Even when carefully thought-out, we cannot control the future to the extent that each plan will become reality. Often we focus on certain aspects and subconsciously block problems, but perhaps that allows us to reach for the unlikely goals.


During my travels and exploration of the San Juan mountains, I often think of those who built the enduring structures that I find. Those people risked everything to reach their goals, and many lost their money or even their lives, while some prospered.


At the beginning of this year, I left a life in the city behind (seemingly abruptly, but it was the result of careful planning) and moved to the mountains that I now call home. I knew that I would inevitably make mistakes, but it is our ability to adapt and overcome that makes real success possible.


Through a series of coincidences I was recently able to secure space in a local downtown gift gallery, and I now have nearly 20 pieces on display. I'm fortunate to have such a great opportunity to reach people with my work offline, but I could not have taken so many variables into account and planned for this.

I believe that the only real failure is to do nothing. By taking no chances, you can almost guarantee that nothing will change.  With calculated risks and the resilience to adapt to changing circumstances, we can achieve much.
 

As I look outside I can see the leaves on my aspens beginning to change. Fall is coming...

To view new summer images, click here.

2 comments:

  1. So I am on a mission to Analyze a top blog in my niche. You are not necessarily the same niche but the same mountains;-) But non the less this was a very well done post, was just what I was needing to hear, so let me thank you~Clay~

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for commenting. I'm glad it helped!

    ReplyDelete